Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Chrysler's latest auto stylings

Chrylser has definitely come a long way. The old Plymouth and Chrysler models were dull, boring, and the epitome of outdated American automotive engineering. So I have become a big fan of the Daimler Benz/Chrysler merger. The biggest benefit to Chrysler has been the opportunity to use some of the Benz auto body stylings to create some eye-catchingly beautiful cars.

I think the Chrysler "design revolution" technically began with the Plymouth Prowler. That is, without a doubt, one of the prettiest cars on the road. The retro look of a '30s street rod even looked good in the trademark purple paint. After building on that success with the PT Cruiser, I think they tried to see what else they could do with the body styles to get out of the Sebring/300M rut. Both of those vehicles were sleepers in terms of body styling and did not stand out at all on the road. The current incarnation of the 300M is stunning. I like the bold lines and the squarish feel gives me the same feeling I had as a kid watching the "tough car" barreling down on another car in cartoons I watched as a kid.

I think what Chrysler needs to do at this point is continue the process by either removing the Sebring from its vehicle lineup or restyling it along the lines of the Acura TL. Obviously, they don't want to pull any more from the Mercedes Benz styling, although I am very fond of the Mercedes SLK and MacLaren car bodies.

More about the DaimlerChrysler group of automobiles in a later post.

No comments: